Saturday, November 5, 2011

Make a Statement Marketing






Look Into My Eyes
What Do You See?





The answer is: Beauty




Recently, I listened to the autobiography of Steve Jobs.  One thing I learned from him is to make beautiful things, and to make what I do beautiful.  The picture of Angelina Jolie above shows how beauty captivates people.  When you combine beauty with excellent products and services, you have a winner.

When I first picked up an iPhone 4, I felt the beauty of the design and it was a pleasure to look at it.  As a practical matter, I wanted to protect it from getting damaged.  So, like most people, I purchased a bumper protector and a screen protector for it.  After I put the bumper on it, it wasn't as beautiful.  I left it on the iPhone anyway, because I feared I would destroy it.  A few weeks ago, my daughter ripped the bumper off.  When I picked it up without the bumper, I immediately realized that the bumper ruined the iPhone.  It made it bulky and awkward in my hand.  It made it feel cheaper.  So, I have been living on the wild side, and using my iPhone without protection!  The experience is so much nicer and my iPhone fits in my pockets better.  

I am no Jobs, but I have constantly tried to improve my marketing and brand.  It takes time to develop and it takes making mistakes.  It also takes recognizing what works and repeating it.  My father taught me long ago that it is essential to send a direct mailer every spring and fall in our industry.  I still do it to this day, and I can honestly say, that every time I send out a flyer, it is the most beautiful one I have ever created.  I work with a wonderful printer, and together we improve our marketing materials every time.  We are never satisfied with what we did last year.  

It matters how your marketing materials look.  It matters what type and weight of paper you choose.  When a customer picks up your business card or flyer, the first thing they take in is how it feels in their hand.  It may only hit them on an unconscious level, but believe that it makes a difference.  Quality is paramount. 

Compare the bulk mailers to a direct flyer.  The bulk mailers are packed with the cheapest crap paper ads available, and 99.9% of them end up in the trash.  With an average post card, you get at best 2% call backs.  With the highest quality flyer possible, with relevant content and attractive design, you can stretch that to 3-4%.  More importantly, when they notice your materials, quality jumps out and sets you apart from all the other chumps out there.  

Don't be cheap with your marketing materials.  Especially if you sell a high-end custom built product like me.  Make a statement with everything your clients touch or see, and your efforts will pay off as profits and customer loyalty.  If you don't believe me, walk into any Apple store in the United States, and see for your self.  

Steve Jobs, may you rest in peace.  You changed the universe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment