Sunday, November 20, 2011

Make a List


Make A List

To counter these useless tasks, it is essential to create a to-do list.  For some people this comes naturally, but for people like me, a list is painful for several reasons.   I like spontaneity and a list seems to structure and limit my day. 

The reality is, a list allows me to narrow my thoughts and focus on important tasks for my life at work and home.  

Here is a typical list I would create:

1. Enter completed invoices into Quickbooks
2. Schedule doctor appt.
3. Blog for 1 hour
4. Go through old mail on desk
5. Call active leads
6. Complete proposals
7. Schedule lunch with my Grandfather
8. Go over active projects and update punch list items; Look at cash-flow and figure out when the next draws are due.
9. Look at budget for next month
10. Have employee organize inventory and clean storage shed and basement
11. Find church service for this Sunday
12. Plan Thanksgiving menu
13. Organize materials and videos for consulting gig

The next step to the list is to prioritize.  Dave Ramsey wrote about prioritizing a to-do list in his book Entreleadership, and it was the best and simplest method I have ever seen.  

First you label the items as "A" or "B".  The "A" items are ones that have to be done today, and the "B" items are the ones you would like to do today, but they can be done later.  Next, number each item in the "A" group starting with "1", for the top priority item, that has to be done first.  Follow with 2, 3, and so on for the rest of the "A" list with the higher priority items being lower numbers and the lower priority with higher numbers.  Do the same for the "B" list, by numbering by priority starting with "1".  

So your top priority item is A1, second is A2.  I personally write a list most mornings of anything that comes to mind as a brainstorming list, then label them "A" and "B", then number each item in the "A" group, and "B" group.  I then rewrite the list in 2 separate columns in priority order.  My finished prioritized list above would look like this:


A:
1. Complete proposals
2. Call active leads
3. Go through old mail on desk
4. Enter completed invoices into QB
5. Blog for 1 hour
6. Go over active projects
7. Have employee organize inventory and clean storage shed and basement



B:
1. Organize materials and videos for consulting gig
2. Find church service for Sunday
3. Schedule Doctor Appt.
4. Schedule lunch with Grandfather
5. Plan Thanksgiving menu
6. Look at budget for next month



I may never actually complete all the tasks on the lists, but I can see the progress I have made, which gives me a sense of accomplishment.  Furthermore, the list helps me move forward on the things that really mater.  

No comments:

Post a Comment