Thursday, November 24, 2011

Invest...Family and Friends


Family, Friends, and You:


Daddy's Little Girl
Every business has its busy and slow times.  When things slow down, I make a concerted effort to spend time with loved ones and to do things that balance all the hard work.  



Home is Where the Heart Is

There are times of the year that I am so busy I barely see my daughter off to bed at night.  During the slow times, I try to get home early and spend quality time with my family.  It is very important to remember why we work so hard when it is busy.  It is critically important to take advantage of the time and do fun stuff with the family.  Otherwise, before we know it, our kids are off to college and work and we hardly ever see them.  Then they repeat the same patterns we modeled as they grew up. 

If you value your family, you will make them a priority.  Your business can suck the life and joy out of your home.  If you think your wife or children aren't involved with your business, think again.  Remember those tough days, when you had to deal with a major monetary loss, or a very difficult client?  If you are as human as I am, you probably brought your frustration home and unleashed it on your family.  Some people show their emotions and some hold it in.  Either way, your family suffers along with you as you fight your way to success with your company.  MAKE SURE you allow them the joy of having you home and happy once in awhile.  

Lunch With My Wife

Honestly, the last time I brought my wife lunch was three years ago when she was nursing our daughter at work.  While it is difficult for me to pull off now, with her new job location, it isn't impossible and I haven't done it.  This effort could go a long way in pleasing your wife (or husband), and it can make up for many long days away from home tending to your busy, busy company stuff.  


Hi Grandpa!

When I see my grandpa, I always think the same thing…I really need to see him more often.  I walked into my mom's house the other day, after work, and my grandpa was sitting on the couch.  It was such a pleasure to see him.  I know this is a cliche, but the grandparents aren't going to be around forever.  The slower times allow us to make an extra visit between holidays.  It sounds horrible when I read that last sentence, but that is what it has come to.  I usually only see my grandpa on holidays and that just isn't good enough.  As an American, I can say that this is fairly normal for many people in our society.  Especially, for people who's family is out of state or out of the country.


Old Friends

Do you have old friends that you have known for over 10 or even 20 years?  I have a group of friends from high school, and we usually see each other twice a year with ALL of the kids.  It is always a blast, but I barely have time to really catch up with any of them one-on-one.  

It is so rewarding to meet up with an old friend for lunch or after work, or at their house on a Saturday.  One evening I was at a customer's house very close to my friends Jessica and Desmond.  Jessica and I have been close friends since high school.  I stopped in, unannounced and stayed for an hour or so.  It was great!  They were delighted to see me and I got to catch up with them and their two kids.  It won't always work just dropping in on people, and some people prefer a call, but when it does work, it is reminds us of who are real friends are.  In our lives we may have just a few real friends.  It is always worth investing a few moments to connect with them.


Time for Fun

Put down the hammer and step away from the ladder.  Take a break and get a life!  What are you working so hard for if you never take a moment to enjoy your life a little?  You know who you are if this rings true.  Pause for a moment, and think about the last time you did something fun.  If you have at least one child, I can imagine it has been awhile since you did something, just for YOU!  At least that is how it can be for my self for periods of time.  It is ok to reward your self once in awhile for all the hard work that it takes to build and maintain a small business.  In fact, I believe that without some kind of release, the pressure can build inside our selves, and blow!  

For me, I try to find small things that take my mind off of work, for short time frames.  After all, the business takes most of my time and I need and enjoy spending time with my family, so there is little time left over.  Last summer I managed to get a small power boat.  I rarely have time to take it out, but when I do, I don't worry about any of my normal daily stressors.  I feel the breeze and smell the water.



No comments:

Post a Comment